Friday, April 10, 2009

Three Nails

In the past two or three weeks, God has been reminding me that any time I am tempted to sin, He ALWAYS provides a way out, and I must choose to take that way out to avoid sinning against Him. Needless to say for this stubborn girl, this has not been an easy lesson to apply and I have made very little progress in giving Him the glory He deserves with my life. Last week, I was struck by reading the story of Christ's death and resurrection. I just got a new Bible, and it amazes me how fresh His Word becomes when it doesn't have notes, highlighter, and dates written all over it from the past several years! As I read Luke 22:40-46, I was struck by Jesus' humanity and divinity coming to a very defining intersection. This was make it or break it--would He save us or not? It was this night many years ago, and he had just shared a meal with his friends. He loved them, had taught them, showed them how He was fullfilling God's covenant, but they still didn't get it. They still didn't love Him as much as He loved them. He withdrew from them and prayed to God, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from Me!" I finally got it. Jesus' humanity of being able to choose whether or not to die a gruesome death for us was facing Him. What if He had responded as I do when God gives me a way out of sin and sinned anyway? Oh, how this life would be so very, very different. Shattered and broken and absolutely hopeless for lack of a Redeemer! I hope you will join with me in praising the One who had a choice but still, He loves us!

And He passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfullness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin." Exodus 34:5-6b

Above all, fear the LORD and worship Him faithfully with all your heart, considering the great things He has done for you. 1 Samuel 12:24 (emphasis mine)

0 comments: