Sunday, May 9, 2010

Antiquing with a Limit

I have come to believe that it is positively cruel to send me on a weekend trip antiquing with the design girls with only a carry on suitcase to bring back my loot. Perhaps it was good for me to have a limit, but I started two collections I've been looking to create.

When my grandma died, the one thing I knew I wanted to remember her by were her set of Pyrex mixing bowls from the 1950s. She probably got them brand new as a newlywed and they were likely all the rage.

Since getting those, I have started a bit of a love affair with vintage Pyrex glass and have been wanting some fun little storage containers for leftovers.

Behold, the precursor to Tupperware.
I own these. *Heart.*

My other fabulous find were four luncheon plates in pink depression glass. Can you imagine the bridal and baby showers that will necessitate? Can't wait! Of course, I will need quite a few more to do that. That shouldn't be a problem.

Items I would have snatched up if I had a small U-haul to take back:



I have a little problem that I call being sentimental over other people's family photos. If this were smaller and didn't practically demand an explanation as to who these people were, I might have snagged it for my shameful collection of other people's family photos. I don't even pretend that its not weird. Don't you worry.



What do you do with a little forgotten corner in your home? You put a beautiful, old, lead paint covered fluted column in it. And then you celebrate because it is just that beautiful.



I needed this whole set so very, very badly, but I would have had to throw all of my clothes out of my suitcase to fit them. This is just one of three, varying sizes, with a wonderful faceted crystal ball on the top of each one. How cute would this be for flour, sugar, and who knows what else that you usually put in canisters?! Unfortunately, TSA has made this an unrealized dream.



Becky, if you're reading this, this is exactly what I meant when I said you needed a mirror with some "body" over your sofa. Love it.

0 comments: